From:
Marilyn Harris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Sep 2002 10:37:12 -0400
>Since when is tossing egg yolks a prototypical thing to do? Sorry, but
>that's rule one for me.

Yes, I would like to avoid having to lessen the amount of yolk I eat - its
both the tastiest and the more nutritious part.

I've done a little more reading and they seem to indicate that sufficient
fibre in the diet plus other factors might lessen the rise in LDL to an
insignificant amount. To quote (from page 448);

"In a cohort of43,757 male health professionals, dietary intake was
significantly related to age-adjusted risk for myocardial infarction and
fatal CHD (p<0.003 and 0.002 respectively) across cholesterol quntiles
ranging from medium intakes of 189 to 422 mg/day (Ascherio et al., 1996).
However the risk was attenuated with multivariate analysis (p<0.07 and
<0.03), which included other risk factors such as body mass indez, smoking
habits, alcohol consumption, physical activity, history of hypertension or
blood cholesterol, family histroy of myocardial infarction, and profession.
The risk became insignificant after adjustment for fiber intake, which was
reported to be significantly inversely related to CHD risk in this cohort."

However in a study of coronary artery disease comprising 50 men, disease was
weakly related to cholesterol intake in univariate analysis. In another
study 13,148 male and females, carotid wall thickness was significantly
related to dietary cholesterol intake in univariate analysis (multi-variate
not performed). The NAP say that inconsistency in results may be due to many
factors.

But they also mention that its possible that net impact on CHD risk depends
on the relative changes in lipoproteins (LDL/HDL) as well as other
unmeasured mediators of atherogenesis. And, finally, they say that the
considerable differences between individuals in lipid response to dietary
cholesterol may result in differeing outcomes.

So it's not too cut and dry, and unless you really know your body's
nutrient/lipid levels it's best to play it safe. Although I have many of the
factors for lessening CHD, I also have had a high blood cholesterol count in
a test taken a couple of years ago (unfortunately the HDL/LDL levels were
not included). The best thing for me to do would be to re-take the tests
again soon.

Marilyn