From:
Brenda Young <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Dec 2006 20:09:17 -0800
OK, I have a few questions.  First of all, how could Maine possibly be further north than Canada, lol.  Just ribbing you, Robert.  But seriously, you guys have been talking about the water fast lately.  I am curious about that.  How long do you do it, and for what reasons??  I have a bit of low blood sugar, which means I usually need to eat every couple of hours, which I haven't been doing lately to the detriment of my health.

  Love,
  Bren

Robert Kesterson <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
  On Fri, 15 Dec 2006 11:37:45 -0600, William wrote:

>>> There are no such veggies or fruits locally.
>>
>> Where do you live? Maybe there's a business opportunity there?
>
> Western Quebec, very French, short growing season.

How far north? One of the books I read that inspired me to build my solar
greenhouse was written by a man who has a commercial organic vegetable
operation in Maine -- depending on where you are in Quebec, he may
actually be further north than you are. His approach includes season
extension through simple devices like cold frames, solar greenhouses, and
row covers. He grows both traditional "summer" crops as well as various
winter crops. The techniques work -- I'm still harvesting fresh veggies
in my greenhouse and we're well past the normal growing season here, and
have been through many freezing nights and a good round of snow and ice
already. The plants are still growing. In fact, just another week and
we'll pass the winter solstice, so the days will start getting longer
again. You'd have less sunlight to work with than I do (I'm in Missouri,
half a continent south of you), but the principles would still apply.

> I hear that the new world order wants us to get our fruit & veg. from
> Latin America.

Of that I have no doubt. The last I heard, they're wanting to build a
10-lane superhighway all the way from Mexico to Canada.

> It's like a story that I'm mostly writing, and I'm curious as to what
> will happen if I for instance try water fasting.

I've never done a water fast. Might be interesting. I've done juice
fasts before, and never really saw what the big deal was about them. I
imagine paleo man fasted at times, whether he wanted to or not.

--
Robert Kesterson