From:
Sheryl Canter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Nov 2001 10:57:12 EST
Rachel Matesz wrote:
> A friend of mine started her kids on sardines, vegetables, fruits, and other
wholesome foods when they became interested in food (while still breast
feeding).  Her kids absolutely love broccoli, asparagus, carrots, corn,
fresh fruits, etc.

Yes, this is absolutely true.  My sister did the same thing with her son.  I
have photos of him at one year old eating broccoli and loving it.
Unfortunately, she has a vegetarian orientation, and feeds him soy-based
veggie burgers rather than meat.  But at least he doesn't eat junk food.

My brother's wife, on the other hand, took a very different approach.  She's
a good cook and she and my brother eat well.  But she started feeling her
children junk early on, and now that's all they will eat.  Having dinner over
there is sickening.  The adults eat a nourishing meal of meat and fresh
vegetables, and the children--who need adequate nutrition the most--are
eating packaged fish cakes, pasta, and other garbage.

When they come over here, I refuse to feed the kids garbage.  I serve one
meal for all.  The last time they were here, we had barbequed chicken, a big
spinach salad, and grapes.  They ate it!  Hey--they were hungry and didn't
have much choice. ;-)

     - Sheryl