From:
Hilary McClure <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Jun 2004 23:09:37 -0400
Michael Weis wrote:
> I've just finished reading Ray Audette's Neanderthin
> book as well as Dr. Loren Cordain's The Paleo Diet.
> The only significant difference between the two that I
> could detect is that Neanderthin doesn't prohibit salt
> and Cordain does. Any thoughts on that?

I find aspects of Cordain's book annoying, but I tend to agree with him
on salt. Here's a link to an article on salt and hypertension that I
found very interesting. It seems right on to me, though I'm suspicious
because the rest of the website seems to be Ornish/Pritikin based.:
http://www.foodandhealth.com/cpecourses/salt.pdf

> Also, I have a question about eating liver. I have always
> understood liver as the organ which  detoxifies the body.
> Does that also mean that the toxins which are removed
> from the body accumulate in the liver? Is liver really a
> safe and healthy food to eat, whether it be from beef or
> chicken?

We eat chicken, lamb, and beefalo liver. I think the liver detoxifies
not by accumulating toxins but by neutralizing and eliminating them. If
it accululated them then wouldn't it become diseased pretty quickly
itself? OTOH, most livestock doesn't live long enough for that sort of
disease to show up, so we stay with organic (raise the lamb and chicken
ourselves).
Certain toxins accumulate for sure in fat, so it's even more important
for that to be organic.

Hilary McClure
Danville, Vermont