From:
Justin Hasselman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Sep 2000 20:09:44 CDT
>Ginny Wilken wrote:
>Well, here's my non-scientific understanding of it: You cannot make >fat
>out of protein and fat without having ingested carbohydrates to >provoke
>the insulin response, so you don't necessarily easily store >fat.

All of the macronutrients cause a release of insulin - just to
different
extents.  Other things equal, 10cal of carbs will cause a higher
release of
insulin than 10cal of protein or 10cal of fat.  Without insulin, our
cells
will starve.  Insulin isn't a "villian" hormone, only in excess is it
harmful.

There are times when the body runs fine off high insulin levels (the
postworkout meal for example).  The exception is those who are insulin
resistant, and they will want to keep their postworkout meal in the
low
glycemic range - but this could be said true of all the meals for an
IR
individual.

And yes, the body can make fat out of protein, just as it can make fat
out
of carbs.

>Ginny Wilken wrote:
>We are meant to burn meat and fat; carbs and the accompanying insulin
> >response were meant to help us store fat in the late summer season >for
>the coming winter of short days and scarce food.

There is no such thing as a no glycemic meal.  Insulin is going to be
released, even if we're talking about a high meat, 0g carb diet.  And
just
for the record, some people respond well to a glucose based fueling
system.

>Ginny Wilken:
>Your exercise level will not need to increase; in fact, it may be >able to
>decrease. There's really no need to exercise aerobically on a >regular
>basis; it's largely a myth perpetuated by the low-fat,
>cholesterol-will-kill-you crowd.

Ginny, you sound just like Ray Audette.  You tell people these
bullshit
stories about how they can exercise less and lose fat.  How they don't
need
to do cardio to lose fat.  How they can eat lots and lots of calories
in the
form of bacon, eggs, pork steaks, etc, but they will still be able to
lose
fat b/c their insulin levels are low. The fact is, a pound of bacon
for
breakfast promotes a fairly substantial insulin release.  Sure, it's
less
than a bowl of cereal, but there's still insulin, especially if it's
combined with other high fat foods.

These high calorie ketogenic diets will work well for some.  They have
obviously worked well for Ray, Philip, and many others, but they will
simply
not work for everyone, especially for fat loss.  And in the case of
some
people like Todd, it provides too many calories for even a maintenance
level.  People with slower metabolisms will have to eat more vegies
and less
meat in order to lessen their overall caloric intake.  This will bring
their
caloric intake to a level that is equal to their metabolic rate (ie
maintenace calories).  Or, if fat loss is the goal, then they'll want
reduce calories further and increase cardio to one degree or another.

>Ginny Wilken wrote:
>But you may wish to do weightlifting or other load-bearing >activities,
>both for fun and to build strength.

At least we agree on something.

>Ginny Wilken wrote:
>Paleo will build lean mass even without training, and getting off the
> >carbs will release a lot of extra water in your tissues, so you'll >look
>leaner anyway.

You sound like Ray again.  You two should start a commercial that goes
something like: "Eat a pound of bacon for breakfast.  Lose fat.  Gain
muscle
without even touching a weight.  Improved blood pressure and
cholesterol.
The more fat you eat the more fat you will lose (don't I wish?)."

Justin Hasselman