Date:
Fri, 9 May 2008 15:30:22 -0600
[log in to unmask] wrote:
> Marilyn > Again, sorry Jim!!  I just get tired of seeing religion brought up in this forum now and again.
>
> First, I must say that you are brave and admirable for apologizing.  Were that we all were that big.  Thanks for that.
>
> If we stick to the letter of the law on this board, nothing but paleo eating would be said.  No exercise, no paleo ways of life, etc.  In other words, most of what's posted here right now.  Only allowed would be discussions about what's paleo, what's not, success stories, trouble finding what to eat in restaurants and the like.  I found that we'd gotten a little more liberal lately in terms of allowed content and felt that I could inject a paleo-relevant quote from the foundational document of Western civilization, coming as it did a mere echo from the Neolithic.

I do agree that a perfectly conforming list (requires strict moderation)
is usually an inactive and boring place.  Give and take discussions drag
more people and experience into a discussion.

I would say that western civilization has it roots in Greek history
where religion was primarily pagan and patriarchy was on the rise -
Christianity is merely a successful variant on that theme with it's
trinitarian polytheism and masculine gods - one of many dying and rising
again gods but one imposed by government (like Islam was imposed on
other parts of the world).  The religious works that made its way into
the different bible variants are of late authorship, internally
inconstant, historically anachronistic, and adoptions with modifications
of the myths of older civilizations.  Any meaningful material in
biblical works were derived from other older civilizations.  No such
ancient dietary laws of religious derivation found therein is of any
value to a paleo diet.

I prefer to not make an appeal to the gaps in knowledge, religion,
because lack of knowledge allows the creation of fictional
explanations.  I find such appleals as useful as the ones that promise
three inches in lengths and one additional inch in girth with parters
lining up around the block (as if humor, personality, creativity,
wittiness, passion, romance, teasing, etc. are insignificant.)

One needs to do their searching for useful paleo information before the
advent of agriculture and before the beginning of writing generally.
> If I've offended by deviating from the purpose of this board, I am sorry.
>
> Have a great weekend.
>
> Jim

Someone taking offense is always their choice.  We all get to choose how
we respond within our personal limits even if one has beliefs to the
contrary.

Steve