From:
Adrienne Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Jan 2003 18:30:58 EST
According to English scientist Jane Plant, dairy products promote breast and
prostate cancer because the naturally occurring IGF-1 (so I am not referring
to growth factors added to non-organic dairy products) found in cow's milk is
allegedly identical to IGF-1 in humans and her theory is that this can
promote tumors.  (She does not say dairy causes these cancers, rather, she
believes they are promotive of it.)  On a paleo-type regime (or as close as
we can get in these modern times), most of us eat large amounts of meat and
animal protein.  Doesn't meat also contain IGF-1??? Could there be other
hormones at play with respect to dairy products such as naturally occurring
estrogen and prolactin that aren't normally found in organic meat?  Also,
anyone know if IGF-1 is in fish or eggs? When I asked Cordain about this in
an e-mail a while back, he indicated that any potential risk from increased
IGF-1 levels from eating a high protein diet would be far less than consuming
a high starch/sugar which promotes high insulin levels. High insulin levels
have been correlated with breast and prostate cancer.  Thoughts?