From:
Brad Cooley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Nov 2000 16:54:56 -0600
Mary,

In my experience, weight loss and level of activity go hand in hand.  Humans
were meant to be physically active.  When activity is down-regulated,
metabolism is down-regulated, and appetite is up-regulated.  In other words
the body adapts to the stessors, or lack thereof, placed upon it.
Sedentarism implies to the body a time of plenty, so the appetite is
increased.

When I first started the paleodiet (very low carb), I lost rapidly at 3-5
lbs per week going from 315 to 265 with moderate exercise.  I then plateaued
until I increased the intensity of my workouts, according to Art de Vany's
theories, at which point I lost 27 more lbs in one month.  Since April 22nd
when my little girl was born, I have gained back 20 lbs (losing 11 of that
in the last month).  I had become much more sedentary and my appetite for
sweet foods increased.  In the last month I have started lifting weights
again 2x week, although I haven't been playing basketball or other sports,
which I would do regularly.

I would suggest that your friend engage in some form of light exercise
(walking, light weight-lifting, etc.) with which she feels comfortable and
gradually increase the intensity of exercise.  I think the weight may
eventually start to come off with some exercise.

Brad