From:
Kathryn Rosenthal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Apr 2007 13:11:00 -0600
From: "Juergen Botz" <[log in to unmask]>

Juergen, thanks for the post re. vit.D/sunshine.  I've seen research
abstracts re. the importance of vit. D3 as a cancer preventative; most of them relate to breast or colon cancer.
When humans put on hides/clothes, began to spend more time indoors and now
 use sun screen lotions that may actually contribute to cancer, we
have severely diminished our access to D3.

There is some controversy re. the optimum amt. of D3 needed in the human body and latitude, skin color, season of the year and age all factor in (the older we get, the more D3 we need).  I take 2 teaspoons of cod liver oil daily as well as get a lot of desert sun.  I've had my D3 levels tested and plan to remain in the upper end of the range.

If anyone wants to read articles re. the two tests for D3 let me know and I'll forward the info. off list.  Also, I have a good source of D3 drops that have been tested for purity; they come in tincture form, very inexpensive...but... they are in a suspension of corn oil.  Ugh.

Here's just one abstract on the subject:

      Abstract Number: 4008
      Presentation Title: Evidence of need for increased vitamin D fortification of food based on pooled analysis of studies of serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D and breast cancer
      Presentation Start/End Time: Tuesday, Apr 04, 2006, 11:10 AM -11:25 AM
      Location: Room 206, Washington Convention Center
      Author Block: Cedric F. Garland, Sharif B. Mohr, Edward D. Gorham, William B. Grant, Frank C. Garland. University of California San Diego, La Jolla, CA, Sunlight, Nutrition and Health Research Center, San Francisco, CA
      Epidemiological studies suggest that vitamin D deficiency may be associated with higher incidence of breast cancer (1-4). However the dose-response relationship is unclear. To estimate the amount of vitamin D required for nutritional fortification to reduce incidence of breast cancer, we performed a meta-analysis of the dose-response gradient between serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D (25(OH)D) and risk of breast cancer. Studies were identified that included 1,760 individuals. Dose-response curves were plotted for pooled data. The pooled quintiles of 25(OH)D were 0-11, 12-25, 26-31, 32-42 and > 42 ng/ml. Odds ratios for breast cancer from lowest to highest quintile, were 1.00, 0.90, 0.70, 0.70, and 0.50 (p trend < 0.0002). According to multiple regression, a 25(OH)D level of > 52 ng/ml was associated with 50% lower risk of breast cancer compared to women with < 12 ng/ml. This is higher than the concentration of 25(OH)D that would be associated with a 50% reduction in colorectal cancer (33 ng/ml) (5). Intake of > 2,700 IU/day of vitamin D3 would be required to maintain this level in a 70-kg individual (6-7). This is higher than the National Academy of Sciences current No Adverse Effect Level (NOAEL) of 2,400 IU/day, and upper limit of 2,000 IU/day, although lower than the NAS Lowest Observed Adverse Effect Level of 3,800 IU/day. Consideration should be given to revising the upper limit and the adequate intake (200-800 IU/day), and to greater fortification of food with vitamin D3 than is done at present. The US median intake of 320 IU/day is only about one tenth of the amount required for reduction of breast cancer incidence by 50% compared to women with < 12 ng/ml, based on observational studies. Greater vitamin D3 intake is needed since many individuals have inadequate UVB exposure due to indoor occupations and sunscreens.