From:
Tom Bridgeland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Oct 2003 08:26:03 +0900
On Wednesday, October 29, 2003, at 12:39  AM, Fredrik Murman wrote:
> Tom Bridgeland recently stated that access to dirt during infancy is
> essential to prevent iron deficiency. It is hard for me to believe
> since I
> like to think that mothers milk is natures perfect food for babies if
> the
> mother is eating correct.

In early infancy yes, I agree that milk is all a baby needs. But once
they are old enough to crawl around and start chewing on things they
immediately begin trying to eat anything they find. This urge to chew
is strongly suppressed by modern mothers. I recall my wife desperately
trying to get the sand out of my daughter's mouth. Babies must have
this instinct for SOME reason.

> What about your children, Paul, did they eat dirt? (I hope not.)

Why?