From:
PAUL TOWNLEY-SMITH <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Aug 1999 12:41:28 -0500
> Oh brother!  What a bunch of nutcases!  Yes, it is good
> to feed kids mostly nutritious food, but you are going to create an
> alienated sociopath if you dont permit the child to have brownies,
> chips, etc when he goes to parties or is in the company of other
> children.

What about the children who cannot eat these "treats"?  Do you mean to say
that if my children are unable (for medical reasons) to eat brownies and
chips at parties, they will necessarily be alienated sociopaths?  We
originally came to this way of life out of necessity (celiac disease and
multiple severe food allergies were just the beginning), but I am very happy
that my children are eating healthy food and face a much better life than I
have had.  They regularly attend birthday parties armed with their own
"treats," and I see no evidence of them being alienated-on the contrary, the
other children frequently ask to try my children's food.  I can't speak for
anyone else, but in my family we are people that traditional medicine could
not help and we adopted the paleo lifestyle for self-preservation.  I do not
believe that this makes us "diet fanatics" or that our children will be
outcasts.  If anything separates our children from the majority of their
peers, it is their good behavior and advanced skills (which have clearly
been enhanced by their healthy lifestyle).

Kerry