From:
Sean Scoggins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Sep 2000 12:22:59 -0400
> Jean-Claude, is there a name for this variety of 'real grape'?  Is is
> possible to purchase them in north america?  I've had concord grapes,
which

You can purchase nearly anything when you're in North America :-)
Check
farmers' markets, and also you can grow grapes relatively easily from
seeds
(check a seed catalog).  Here in North Carolina, we have a wonderful
"meaty"
grape called "scuppernong" (I don't know if it's a local name or not)
that
grows uncontrollably once planted.  The skin is thick like leather
(you have
to squeeze the grape to get the sweet inside to "pop" out through the
tough
skin).  The skin is very tart with a slight alum taste, while the
inside
tastes like honey.  And, as Jean-Claude said, even the seeds are good!
There are also some called "muscadine" (which I used to think were the
same
things as scuppernongs, but apparently not) that are similar.

My point?  I've never *ever* seen these in supermarkets around here,
but
they are always at the farmers' markets in season, and everyone knows
what
they are, and many people grow them.  So, check local produce sellers
first.
When you find a grape you like, stick a few in the ground and maybe
you'll
get lucky!