From:
Dori Zook <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Nov 2000 10:00:02 MST
On oatmeal, Todd said:

>An interesting thing is that oats are one of the few dietary
>sources of GLA (gamma linoleic acid)...

> > I am Scottish but never liked porridge. <G>
>
>One of the isolated Scottish populations studied by Weston Price
>ate mainly seafood and oats, as I recall.

While in Scotland, I enjoyed haggis (but just twice).  If I'm not mistaken,
it's lamb, suet and oatmeal.  And it was mighty tasty!  While I'm as
anti-grain as just about anybody on the list,

a) oats are clearly the lesser of grain evils
b) lamb and suet are good for you and
c) it was vacation!

So I ate it guilt free.  No increase in appetite and no 'crash' after the
meal.  I wish I'd eaten more of it, frankly.  BTW, my friend was awed at my
ability to turn down all other foods even close to starchy.  I love her to
pieces but it was sad to see her sucking down everything starchy in sight.
She keeps lamenting her stalled weight loss; now I know why.

Dori Zook
Denver, CO