From:
Robert Kesterson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Dec 2005 07:35:28 -0600
On Fri, 09 Dec 2005 23:56:02 -0600, Debby Padilla-Hudson
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> How expensive is grass fed beef versus grain fed?

That depends on where and how you buy it.  Buy it in a store and you'll
definitely pay a premium for it.  We buy it directly from the farmer, half
a steer at a time.  The price is based on the current price at the area
cattle market.  The last time we bought some (about two months ago), it
was $1.60 a lb plus 47 cent a lb for processing, so a total of $2.07 a
lb.  That was across the board for all cuts -- steaks, roasts, stew and
fajita meats, and hamburger.

We have reserveda side of buffalo (also grass fed) for next spring, which
is going to be a little more expensive at $2.79 a lb (total price,
processing and all), also directly from the rancher.  But again, that's
across the board for all cuts, so it's actually a really good price.

There are advertisements in our local paper from farmers and ranchers who
will sell direct.  If there are some in your area, it's definitely the way
to go.

--
   Robert Kesterson