Date:
Thu, 21 Aug 2008 07:32:04 -0700
I'd like to say one more thing.  I believe it is absolutely VITAL to do
a purist paleo phase for the first three weeks of the diet.  Vital.  No
dairy, no grains (including no corn), no beans (including no peanuts),
no frankenfats, no potatoes, etc.  And -- gasp -- no coffee.  Drink
green tea instead.

Do not worry about carbs if you don't want to.  Just meat, fruit (even
dried fruit, that bane of weight loss), selected veggies, nuts, seeds
for that initial three week period.  Then add back in some items one at
a time and see what they do to you.

When I did this, I felt awful for about a week then fantastic for the
next two.  By about day eight or so I had zero cravings for nonpaleo
foods.  After three weeks, I chose to have ice cream.  Tasted great --
and it's still generally my cheat of choice -- but I noticed more than
ever the mucus that eating dairy produces.  Adding wheat back was
catastrophic for me as I ended up with lesions in my mouth, sore joints,
and some very interesting intestinal effects.  I miss it not at all.  I
don't miss beans -- for reasons I don't need to explain.  Let's just say
that flatulence is not a normal response to our natural foods.  Having
store bought mayonaisse made me feel like crap due to the soybean oil.
Wine is tolerable as long as it's no more than two glasses.

Anyway, the three weeks purist is absolutely vital before any cheating
should be considered.

Jim Swayze
www.fireholecanyon.com