Date:
Sun, 9 Dec 2001 17:03:23 -0400
Cairo Tyler said:
I have recently been diagnosed with candida... was told I needed to
increase my fibre intake by eating buckwheat, quinoa, wild rice, millet and
amaranth.

My Reply:
These foods are not essential for healing candida nor are the richest soure
of fiber.  You actually get more fiber per calorie from
vegetables---broccoli, cauliflower, celery, radishes, cucumbers, parsley,
salad greens, zucchini, carrots, turnips, etc.

Wild rice is probably the closest to paleo and the least altered by man.
Quinoa contains more protein and fiber than most other grains; buckwheat is
more nutritious than rice.  Whether you eat them or not, eating more leafy
green and colorful fibrous vegetables would be wise.

If you want to check out an alternative view for Candida, which allows for
small amounts of sour fruits, pick up a copy of THE FUNGUS LINK by Doug
Kaufmann.  It's interesting, lists interesting studies and books, and has a
reasonable diet that is more sustainable than most candida diets.  It's self
published.  MediaTrition (972) 772-0990.  Not sure if he has a web site.

Cheers,
Rachel

I hadn't even heard of any of these things until Saturday and was
wondering how far removed from paleo these foods they were. Which of these
would be best for me to eat (if any)? I am also wondering about the GI of
these foods. I would like to get well as soon as I can and if I have to eat
these foods in order to do that, then that's what I'll do. If they are truly
bad for me, then I'll need to find another alternative to increasing my
fibre that doesn't include fruit.

Any help anyone can give me would be great as I am finally getting to the
root of my illness and the last thing I want to do is jeopardise that.

TIA
Cairo