Date:
Sun, 1 Feb 2009 10:03:31 -0500
> Does paleo allow you to take supplements?  L-Tyrosine and certain  forms
> of
> magnesium are good a lowering blood pressure, especially when it is
> borderline
> as you describe.
> BarbF

A paleo option might be to try pomegranate juice.  Although I tend to be
skeptical of "miracle foods", this stuff might actually be one.  Not only
does it apparently reduce blood pressure, but it also reduces
atherosclerotic plaques.  These effects appear to be confirmed in multiple
studies, which is why I mention them.  The mechanism for these
cardiovascular benefits is upregulation of nitric oxide production, which
we now know is a very, very good thing.  Add to that the fact that
pomegranate juice may be the most powerful known antioxidant food,
surpassing even blueberries.  Although the juice is high in carbs, it's
worth nothing that the studies involved rather small quantities, typically
a couple of ounces.  It's also quite delicious.  I now look forward to a
small glass of pomegranate juice every day with dinner, which tastes every
bit as luxurious as a glass of good wine.

http://www.diseaseproof.com/archives/healthy-food-pomegranate-power.html

Todd Moody