From:
Barbara Sheppard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Mar 2002 10:59:24 +1030
I know this topic has been discussed quite a bit already, but it's
frustrating when different sources give totally contradictory information.

In the following, please understand that any mention of 'chlorine' is to be
interpreted as being in the form of 'chloride'.

At 7.3.02 07:50 PM -0400, Rachel wrote:
>I will also note, that vegetables, meats, and eggs contains sodium but NO
>chloride.

I think the suggestion was also made previously that chlorine (chloride) is
simply a poison and does not serve any useful funtion in the body.

Well, below are some excerpts from the section headed 'Chlorine' in 'The
Natural Health Book' by Dorothy Hall:

'Large quantities of chlorine exist as chlorides in most foods ...'

'... chlorine regulates most of the functions of [the system comprising the
liver, pancreas, bile duct, spleen, and bladder]. Chlorine is acid-forming
in the body, but it stimulates enzyme activity as well as gastric
secretion, and therefore the whole of the digestive tract. If you haven't
enough natural chlorine in your body tissues you may have weak
water-retention and decrease in body weight because of it. Deficiency of
chlorine can also lead to liver problems, particularly under-activity of
the liver, and to congestive disorders of many different types, such as
swelling of feet and legs, lumps and cysts and fatty deposits, the
congestion that goes with chronic sinus or bronchial problems, and even
congestive heart disease...'

'Tomato and celery head the list [of chlorine-rich foods], with lettuce not
far behind, and kelp ever present. Spinach and cabbage and parsnips are
rich in chlorine, as are turnips and horseradish.' And so the list goes on.

Please note that there is NO suggestion given that extra salt should be
added to foods.

I am merely trying to point out the inconsistency between Rachel's
statement above, and Dorothy Hall's contention that chloride is an
essential component of the human body that can be found in plentiful
amounts in various vegetables.

Of course, the _overconsumption_ of chloride (or sodium, or any other
substance) is likely to lead to problems - there's certainly no dispute
about that. As always, balance is the key.

I guess the important point that Rachel was trying to make before we got
tangled up in the semantics and chemistry of chlorine/chloride was that
_any_ addition of any kind of salt to our food is equivalent to
overconsumption. No doubt the arguments on that will continue.

Regards,
Barbara