From:
Eva Hedin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 May 2003 21:32:26 +0200
> Herbs only, I believe.  However, some argue that "non-active" constituents
> in herbs may still hold some value.
>
> Rob

Perhaps we should be grateful for ingredients being "non-active" rather than
dirty, poisonous or doing exactly the opposite to what we want them to do.
Just read about something called "kava-kava" which has been sold in Europe.
People got liver damages and one person died. Apparently producers have
started using stem and leaves compared to earlier use of only the root. It
is from the South Pacific area and has been used for 1000 years so people of
course thought it safe.

Also read in a medical paper about false "epoetin" that contained no epoetin
but bacteria. Real epoetin is used by people that have severe anemia and
cannot produce their own red blood cells and it is used for doping by
sportspeople who want to perform better. Just imagine what the false stuff
could do to an anemic person.

Some people could press anything into a pill if it earned them some money. I
believe that our body can transform all the food that we are evolutionary
adjusted to into lifegiving nourishment. Evolution did not give us the need
for supplements of any kind. Just food and water and the habit to like what
we usually eat. Nowadays that is a problem because we eat some rubbish and
are told by health authorities to eat what is not good for us.

BTW, I spoke to a beekeeper at our local Saturday market place about raw
honey. He looked puzzled and said he'd never heard of heating honey - just
swinging it. Honey has two kinds of "sugars"; one is fructose and the other
one we call "grapesugar" (I don't know why). What would be the English name
for that. Anyone knows? Bees don't survive the winter in Sweden without
help.
Eva