From:
Ken Stuart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Jun 2002 17:34:15 -0700
On Fri, 14 Jun 2002 20:05:43 -0400, Don Wiss <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>There have been a lot of posts recently that have not had anything to do
>with Paleolithic food and eating. This is not a Paleolithic lifestyle list.
>This is a "Paleolithic Eating Support List." All posts must have some
>connection with food. For example, how paleo food affects working out would
>be okay. But workout routines by themselves would not. And labeling an
>off-topic post OT does not make it acceptable.

With all due respect Don, I think that you are factually incorrect.

Since you almost always have your facts right, I did not bother to check
this at first, but after a few posts on the subject, I decided to see
how the purpose of the list was actually worded and here it is:

On Sun, 31 Mar 2002 22:00:51 -0500, "L-Soft list server at St. John's
University (1.8d)" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>PaleoFOOD is a support list for persons following a paleolithic
>style diet such as described by Ray Audette in NEANDERTHIN
>"A Caveman's Guide to Nutrition" and all other similar approaches
>in the spirit of the Hunter-Gatherer.
>
>The purpose of the list will be to share experiences, offer each
>other support, chat about our daily challenges in the spirit of
>sharing knowledge on dietary and health issues of our chosen lifestyle.

The "purpose" sentence clearly says "...dietary and health issues of our
chosen lifestyle..." which is previously identified as "... in the
spirit of the Hunter-Gatherer...".

Given this, what is off topic is the usual tendency on mailing lists for
people to chat about things in their life, eg "I'm buying a new car,
should it be blue or red ? ", but anything which is a health issue of
the Hunter-Gatherer lifestyle seems to be on topic.

For example, the occasionally mentioned effects of having artificial
lighting at night and staying up late, seems to be on topic despite not
having to do with food, and the same applies to use of modern toiletries
that started this whole discussion.

--
Cheers,

Ken