From:
Susan Carmack <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Aug 1999 10:07:20 -0700
Hi All,

>Anyway, how can one tell whether the beef fat one has got is really suet?
My grass fed suet comes in large, off yellow hunks like thick sheets. The
fat is encased in a tough membrane that holds the suet to the kidney area.
When I melt it down I am left with these rinds that I can chew on. Regular
suet is ground up and sometimes flour is added!!!
Regular suet doesn't have that much flavour so it is good for pemmican. (It
made me itch, however!)

I believe suet has the highest melting temp of all the fat; coconut butter,
the lowest.
The grass fed suet has an individual flavour that can overpower the meat in
the pemmican. It is good for cooking and baking tho' but I use it when no
one is looking. (The family is squeemish...) I melted down a lot of suet to
make soap and ate it all!

The difference between regular suet and animal fat is suet is almost
tasteless and animal fat tastes a bit like the meat.

I have discovered that New Zealand lamb fat is great for pemmican! It has a
high melting temp too! It doesn't have much taste so it does not overpower
the meat involved in the recipe.

Yum!

All the best,
Susan