Date:
Tue, 7 Nov 2000 19:08:06 -0400
bruce sherrod asked for a reference for the information I posted below:
>When animals are raised on grains, they become host to the deadliest strain
>of E. coli bacteria; the National Academy of Sciences estimates that one of
>every three grain fed cattle is infected with this strain.  Grain fed
>animals have bacterial counts over 300 times that of  animals that are fed
>pasture and hay and little or no grain.  In contrast, pasture fed animals
>have practically no detectable levels of the most dangerous, acid resistant
>strains of E. coli.   Grain carbohydrates feed the growth of acid resistant
>E. coli; grass and other pasture foods do not.  Consequently, grass fed
>animals do not need to have antibiotics as a supplement to their diets.

My response: My husband got that info from <www.eatwild.com> and Jo
Robinson's excellent, short, concise book, "Why Grass Fed is Best."  This
book  has extensive references.

Wrt: Joel Salitan's grass fed animal products---he his considered the father
of the grass farming/pasture feeding movement.  He has created videos and
books for people who want to raise their animals by these methods, which are
better for the animals, for humans who eat them, and for the environment.

Thanks for posting the address for an on line look at the summary of the
article on Saliton.  However, I urge all of you to read the article in its
entirety.  It is well worth the time, very interesting, and uplifting.  It
gives me hope for humanity and excitement about the interest in grass farmed
animals and a saner way to raise animals (ecologically) and dispose of
manure so it doesn't pollute our environment.  Of course it also makes the
animals more nutritious---higher in vitamin e, beta carotene and other
antioxidants, CLA, omega-3s and more!!!   The benefits of grass fed meat and
pastured poultry are not fluff.  (I think you meant the summary of the
article was fluff, right?? :-))

If any of you want to get info onJoel's books, you can contact him directly.
540-885-3590.  The article on Joel is amazing in that his animals just don't
need all those antibiotics (or any at all); they don't have the infections
and diseases found in factory farmed fowl because of how they are raised and
fed.  I have eaten pasture fed poultry, beef and lamb and the taste is
noticably different from the hormone and antibiotic-free grain fattened fowl
and meat I've eaten!

Sorry for the delay.  I'm at least 10 days behind on reading digests.

Sincerely

Rachel Matesz, aka, Chef Rachel,
The Healthy Cooking Coach