From:
Troy Gilchrist <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Nov 1999 13:06:21 -0600
> WTG Robert.  I too have lost over 80 on Atkins and am considering
> NeanderThin at the present.  Just got the book and have found it to be
> interesting and thought providing.
>

> The thought of adding fruit right now seems unimaginable and I am
concerned
> about gaining weight.  The whole variety issue seems very appealing adding
> more fruit, veggies, and some nuts to the mix.  How did you address these
> issues?
>
> You may have seen me on ABC's 20/20 during the show on Atkins' diet.   I
was
> the guy on the motorcycle who was one of the people profiled.  Atkins has
> been very good to me and I am pleased with my performance on the diet.  I
am
> committed to lowcarb for the rest of my life but I struggle after almost a
> year and a half about variety.  I also want to realize the other health
> benefits I think I can gain from going Paleo.

Hi, Howard.

I saw the 20/20 show and congratulate you on your weight loss. I was
concerned by the 20/20 show's lack of discussion about the supplementation
regimen recommended by Dr. Atkins. Your diet, as discussed on the show,
could, if followed long-term, result in vitamin and mineral deficiencies.
Also, your serum lipid profilescould be skewed in an unhealthy direction.
When considering the Atkins diet or any other low-carb/paleo diet as a
long-term dietary discipline, it is very important to be aware of the need
for a dietary balance of essential fatty acids ( omega-3, -6, and -9) and
the need for sufficient intake of a wide assortment of low-glycemic fruits
and vegetables to acquire adequate levels of vitamins and minerals. If you
watch your carbs (i.e., stay away from high-sugar fruits--especially dried
fruits--and honey) and eat plenty of fatty fish (sardines packed in olive
oil are a convenient choice--not too many though because of the salt
content), avocados, organ meats (esp. liver) and nuts, you should find
yourself continuing to lose any undesired weight and realizing other health
improvements mentioned in NEANDERTHIN (i.e., better fitness, fewer colds and
allergy attacks, etc.).

Thanks for buying the book. Congrats again.

Troy Gilchrist, Coauthor
NEANDERTHIN
www.neanderthin.com