From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Nov 2004 15:29:43 -0500
Eva Hedin wrote:

> "Halal" butchering means that the butcher slits the throat of the
> living and
> conscious animal and says a prayer over i. It has nothing to do with
> organic
> whatsoever. It might be that your specific butcher is desls in organic
> meat
> but I would not trust it since it is in no way part of the religious idea
> around "halal".
> In Sweden it is forbidden in its proper form because it is against our
> rules
> for handling animals. The halal butcher must first make the animal
> unconscious before he slits the throat.

This is essentially the same as kosher butchering I believe (different
prayer).  In the case of kosher, the purpose of the practice is to let
the animal bleed to death so that a minimum of blood remains in the
edible carcass.  This is because the Jews are forbidden from consuming
blood.  I believe kosher meats may also be pressed to squeeze even more
blood from the tissues, and is the reason why marinades are often used
to make the meats juicy.  I'm not sure if this pressing is done to halal
meats.  BUT...I'm neither Jewish nor Muslim nor a butcher, so I don't
claim any authority on the subject.

Todd Moody