From:
Dori Zook <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Jun 2000 15:48:48 MDT
Siobhan wrote:

...PETA's reaction has been looked upon with ridicule by
>some here.
>
>We get what we give...

If the second statement is true, PETA'd better watch out!  I covered their
protest of a conference here in Denver a few years ago (National Cattlemen's
Beef Association, I believe).  They drove a pickup to the entrance of the
Denver Convention Center and started shoveling shit onto the sidewalk.
Classy?  I think not.

Also, the group visited the dairy farm where I worked as a child, Bergey's
Dairy, while doing research for the failed "not milk, got beer?" campaign.
A customer told the store's retail manager, Elsa Bergey (my best friend,
btw) that she recently received an email from PETA that mentioned Bergey's
specifically and accused them of starving calves.  What they saw were calves
without grass or grain in thier pens.  Was the Bergey family starving
calves?  Of course not!  Just as a newborn baby can't eat steak and
brocolli, a young calf can't eat grass or grain.  Young calves are
bottle-fed on a dairy farm.  PETA people saw the calves between feedings.
In other words, PETA's chock full of f*cking liars.  Also note; any pictures
of tortured milk cows were NOT taken at Bergey's Dairy Farm.  They treat
thier animals very well.  Even if you don't consume dairy products, you have
to respect a farmer that treats his animals as well as the Bergeys do.
They're very happy bovines who spend all but a few hours a day in a verdant,
green pasture no matter what PETA says about Bergey's.  On hearing the lie
they're spreading, Elsa thought about dropping some shit on PETA's front
step and I don't blame her.

Dori Zook
Denver, CO