From:
Ingrid Bauer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Mar 2001 22:28:52 -0800
-----

>http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/health/newsid_1217000/1217719.stm BBC News
>| HEALTH | Weaning late develops fussy eaters
>
>It's interesting that there is no mention whether these babies are being
>weaned from breast or bottle, or both.

Knowing the statistics in occidental countries , i bet  all of them  are
weaned from bottle.
the ones who are breast feed  are mostly introducing food early because the
majority wean before 6 months , a growing minority of dedicated mother will
breast feed for over a year and are introducing food very progressivelly.

The title  of the article  represent well the usual "scientific"
missinterpretation of the facts observed.

because weaning and introduction of solid foods are 2 complete  different
things.
My son started to eat his first food at few weeks old and is still nursing
at 4 years and 2 months . From very early on he have been presented with a
wide variety of foods because we were prechewing for him ( nuts meats
greens) .
I agree that the foods encountered young are determining future preferences.
The concept of a picky eater is no more than a judgment nothing scientific.
my son is a picky eater because he eat only what he is attracted to eat and
he is also very specific about what he need at any given moment. he is also
eating a wide range of different foods ( from nettle to pine nuts or bone
marrow)

jean-claude