Date:
Thu, 27 Aug 2009 12:01:26 -0400
Robert Kesterson wrote:

>> ... bone health ...
>
> I don't know enough about that to debate it.  IMO, the best defense
> against bone problems is weight-bearing exercise.

IIRC NASA found that the best defense against bone problems is the right
electro-magnetic field in the spacecraft to counter the (calcium?) loss
from extended time in zero gravity.
An interesting report from geology is that the magnetic field of the
planet is much weaker than it was thousands of years ago.

> I don't think anyone has suggested becoming vegetarian.  It's just
> the "all carbs are evil" mantra that gets old.  Maybe all carbs are
> evil for some people, but that doesn't mean they are for everyone.  I
> applaud those people who have gone zero carb and it cured whatever
> ill they had.  But there are also people who have done the opposite.
> It's all anecdotal -- which is fine.  But then it seems to go from
> that to "paleo man wouldn't eat an apple if it was sitting in front
> of him because he ate nothing but fat and organ meats".

IMHO zero carb is a best-fit healing way, not necessarily a proven way
of eating for all time.

> Man is not a pure carnivore.  He is an omnivore, a hunter-gatherer.
> He "hunted" animals and "gathered" plants, fruits, nuts, seeds,
> roots, insects, and so on -- clearly not zero carb.  Does that mean
> that the paleo diet *must* include carbs?  Of course not.  But it
> also means that their complete exclusion is not a requirement either.

Likely so, but we have problems making a varied diet work. One reason is
the language, for instance successful modern hunters don't "hunt" to get
food. They sit. When the prey appears, they poke, not with a sharp stick
because they are relatively slow, weak and sickly compared to paleo
ancestors but with a bullet.
So lurking and poking is what "hunting" has always been, IMO.

I once saw a drawing of relative behaviour of the sexes in a shopping
mall, where the female path was drawn as long and convoluted, while the
male path was short and direct.
Aha! thought I, this is gathering compared to hunting. Gatherers might
not find anything useful but they still seek and apparently enjoy doing so.
So it follows that gathering behaviour would get veggies and/or small
animals; if we can agree that this is instinctive it means that some
plant-source food is/has been important to survival.
[b]The question that has not been addressed is: which veg?[/b]
There is a teaser in the legend of Gilgamesh where the king gets
Gilgamesh (the archtypical paleoman (my guess)) to help the king look
for a plant which would give him eternal life.
Better he should have asked Gilgamesh's wife, then he might have found
it, and we might find it too.

>> Nobody has all the answers.
>
> On that, I think we all agree.  :-)

  Agreed, but first, I think, we need to dream up the right questions.

William