From:
Keith Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Nov 2004 04:00:26 -0500
On Wed, 3 Nov 2004 15:52, Theta Sigma wrote:

>Kris -
>
>You are correct in my opinion.  And by "fat" I
>mean only raw fat - not cooked.  Not enough raw
>fat in the diet will tend toward promoting dry
>skin.  I believe that skin tone and condition
>comes mostly from the inside (ingested foods).
>Surface lotions and all are barely able to
>make real long-term change to the skin - and
>then perhaps only at the immediate surface, not
>deeply into the skin layers.

>After I went on a raw fat/food diet my skin
>changed from constantly dry, pale and slightly
>flaking (especially in winter) to smooth, ruddy
>and less wrinkled with no flaking visible.
>I would say that raw fat from any good source
>is fine - it need not be specifically cod liver
>oil. Avocado, for example, is an excellent raw
>fat source, as are raw nuts from trees, et al.

>One of my favorite fats to chew on is suet:

>>And last but not least, how DOES
>>diet affect the condition of our skin?
>>Could dry skin be a sign of not eating
>>enough fat?

My personal experience is quite the opposite.  This was unexpected and a
bit of an embarrassment for a Paleo enthusiast!  I eat 5-10 avocadoes a
week, about half a kilo of fresh nuts (mainly walnuts and macadamias
purchased in the shell), I toss olive oil on my salads.  I make my own
suet and use it for grilling (suet's not raw, BTW) and I put one or two
desertspoons full of beef marrow on my salads every few days.

Since I started doing this, my skin has gone flakey (esp the legs) and it
*feels* dry around my face (it doesn't look dry).  When I was vegetarian -
for the previous 30 years - with only a moderate fat intake my skin was
fine.  However the dryness doesn't worry me at all and the skin isn't
cracked, sore or have any other conditions.  So I put it down to age (male
menopause in the early 50s?).  It's coincidental you should raise this
today because just this afternoon, as I hopped on my bike to come home
from work, one of my colleagues looked at my dry legs and asked if I was
getting enough fats in my diet.  Enough!  Probably about 60% of my
calories.

Keith