From:
Andrea Hughett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Feb 2006 07:00:59 -0800
In my medieval history class last night we were
discussing the fall of Rome, and one of the reasons,
according to my professor, was that the Romans ate
mainly bread, and drank water from lead pipes, leading
to lead poisoning and iron deficiency.  This in turn
affected not only their intelligence and reaction
speed, but also lowered the birth rate drastically.
Meanwhile the barbarians on the other side of the
Rhine ate lots of meat and greens, which made them
strong, healthy, and prolific.

Makes sense to me!

Andrea Luxenburg