From:
Kendra_&_Karen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Feb 2000 12:59:07 -0600
Jean-
We are 26 years old and each have recently had our first babies.  Kendra has a
18 month old boy and Karen has a 4 month old girl.  We personally have
practiced a Paleo (Neanderthin) diet for approximately 5 years.  We intend to
raise our children on Paleo and are currently still breastfeeding both.  We
believe in natural child weaning.  We would be happy to help with any questions
you have.  Recently we have even cut back on some fruits and vegetables in
order to kick start weight loss.  We wanted to slim down some and are aware we
have some fat stores to lactate and we make sure we are getting nutrients and
fats necessary for the babies.  Currently we feel great and the children are
both thriving.  Kendra's son Dakota loves pemmican and we give it to him all
the time.  It is great for those car rides when he gets hungry and wants to
nurse.  We always have some pemmican on hand.  Oh he also loves pork rinds, he
had no trouble teething but Ray's son used pork rinds while cutting teeth.
Kendra's in-laws think we are nuts and it is trying sometimes to make sure no
one is giving Kota foods we do not approve of.  Everyone is making an effort to
ask what he can have and are amazed he is OK without cow's milk.  Oh and they
all think we are mean because we do not give him sugar.  We make date bars,
apple nut cobblers and pies, cooked pears and all sorts of delicious deserts
and treats.  In addition Kota loves raw fruits and vegetables.  We think he
probably will prefer them to processed crap food his cousins eat.  We guess
time will tell and we are just trying to set a foundation for our children to
make wise food choices in their future.

> Jean wrote:

> Anyway, DH and I have decided that it's just too risky to experiment with
> young, growing bodies and I'm examining other diets that may help with our
> deficiencies.  Yours sound like it might be the answer for us.
>
> My question - does anyone have first hand information with this diet and
> young children, as well as pregnant and lactating women?

Kendra and Karen while pregnant showed signs of ketones in urine.  Ray assured
us we were not the first hunter gatherer women to have babies  and it is
probably normal, which set our mind at ease about being in ketosis while
pregnant.  We did not change our eating style but always made sure we got a
wide variety of fruits, vegs, nuts, seeds, and meats.  We think it is important
to remember that you really are not eating different foods than other people,
you are just not eating some foods that others eat in a SAD (Standard American
Diet).

Kota has been slightly sick only once since his birth.  He had a stuffy/runny
nose for about one week.  He has never seen a doctor and is very healthy on
this way of eating.  The children have also not been vaccianted.  Both DHs,
babies, and ourselves are very content and well with our diets.

Kendra and Karen
NeanderTwins