From:
Ken Stuart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Jul 2000 16:26:21 -0700
On Tue, 18 Jul 2000 16:40:25 -0400, matesz <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Dori Zook <[log in to unmask]> said:
> My best friend's sister has fibro and I wondered if paleo would help.
>> You've already provided a one-word answer; any info on why?  I'll be sending
>> her a copy of NeanderThin post haste!
>
>Rachel's response:
>Trans fat consumption as well as excess intakes of omega 6s and deficiency
>of omega 3 fatty acids can cause inflammatory reactions in the body, among
>other problems.  For overall health, as well as to reduce inflammatory
>reactions in the body, one needs to cut out all margarine, shortening,
>refined and generic vegetable oils, oils sold in clear bottles (which
>oxidize due to exposure to light as well as through the high heat processing
>they underog), commercial salad dressings, canola oil, and any product which
>contains hydrogenated, partially hydrogenated oils.

Canola oil does not need to be on that list - it is an alternative medicine myth
that there is anything wrong with it, at least any more than the other cooking
oils.   And, since it has a high percentage of monounsaturated fat, then there
would be much less trans fatty acid content even if it were not well treated.

>It would be helpful for your friend to eat a lot of oily deep ocean fish and
>to take cod liver oil daily if she is open to it.  If you want to know more
>about dietary factors which influence pain and inflammation, e-mail me
>privately.  I wrote an article for a couple of magazines on natural relief
>from migraine headaches, a severe inflammatory reaction in the brain.

My experience is that eating cold water fish is enough for otherwise healthy
people, but for people with inflammation, they really need fish oil capsules, at
least 6-10 per day, perhaps even more, especially at first as Udo Erasmus says
it takes months to overcome years of imbalance between Omega-6 and Omega-3 fatty
acids.

--
Cheers,

Ken