From:
Justin Hasselman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Jul 2000 13:34:39 CDT
>BETTY ANN:
>Justin, thanks for your detailed post on the thyroid. I pulled the >print
>out from my most recent blood work from my files. I get the >thyroid panel
>done as I have been on medication for 20+ years. I >found that my family
>practitioner DOES include the T-3 uptake and >Free Thyroxine index tests.
>Fortunately, these 2 values are close to being mid range of "normal"
>parameters. I never would have thought to look at the T-3...I've >always
>watched the TSH.

T3 Uptake and Free T3 are two completely different tests.  In your post
above, you refer to the T3 Uptake.  T3 Uptake doesn't tell you anything.
You need to know your Free T3 levels.  The FTI (free thyroxine index test)
that your refer to above is also completely worhtless.

Let me say this again: The only measurement that matters is the Free T3
levels. *Any* other test tells you nothing.  I do not care what any of the
experts say.  The T3 Uptake, FTI index, Free T4, Total T4, TSH, and all
these other bull@hit tests are all worthless - anyone who says otherwise is
a fool (feel free to posts articles from experts who say otherwise - but if
they're so damn smart, then why are most of their patients still overweight
even after medication).  The only thing that matters is Free T3.

Justin Hasselman (who is not an expert)