From:
Amadeus Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Jul 1998 05:03:59 -0400
On Mon, 27 Jul 1998 12:31:25 -0400, Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>> may it be for other reasons(durability), may it be that grains are healthy.
>
>Of the two, I'd guess durability then.
May be, but turnips can be held over winter easily.

>> Result with optimum quality protein is 0.371 grams per kg weight.
>
>I'd be very interested in reading more about this.  Since I
>weight 100 kg, that would mean that I need only 37g of protein
>per day.  But I know from experience that if I were to eat this
>little protein I would immediately begin to lose muscle mass.
0.371 was for optimum protein quality, which has a rating of 136 on
a scale where egg has 100.
If all of your protein came fro
m meat (valued 91) then you'll
need about 37*136/91 (55 grams).
Some percentage (10% ?) should be added for digestibility.
Then, you need to have your caloric needs from fats or carbs since
otherwise protein will be used to get energy.
Burning protein to get energy seems not wise, since it causes
acidification, nitrogen and purin load on the kindeys without any
advantage.

>> If a person/muscle is physically active, then it needs
>> more _energy_, not more protein.
>It needs both.  Membranes need to be maintained, enzymes need to
>be manufactured, etc.
I think the body (not growing) needs exactly as much protein that it looses.
Looses in feces, hair, nail, horny skin...
Once built-up encymes and membranes are recyled to amino-acids again.
This process reuses much more protein per day as is ingested from food.

>Yes, but the question is whether the increased
activity increases
>the demand for protein, as well as for energy.  I believe it
>does.
I still can't see where the protein should go to,
with the increased activity. I think there's not much of it in sweat.

I'll post again after I have sources in english about the
nitrogen balance tests.

regards
Amadeus