From:
Jan Harkness <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Feb 2002 07:45:25 -0800
Mary, I was on a beta blocker for two years.  The result was weight gain!
Those things slow your whole body down, not just the heart rate.  This was
before I went on a low carb way of eating, and after low carbing, my heart
rate slowed down to the point that I no longer needed the meds.  I had
congestive heart failure and was facing a heart transplant.  I was on a
diuretic, potassium, bp meds, and the beta blocker.  After low carbing, I
was able to get off all meds and the heart is normal.  I was good about
lowering the salt during the time of cardiomyopothy, and kept up the
exercise.

I am in no means saying that anyone should go off their meds without their
cardiologist's approval!  I am trying to say that IMHO, diet has more to do
with *everything* than most docs are willing to say.  Thank God my
cardiologist recommended Atkins to me.

Jan in AZ for the winter