From:
ardeith l carter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Feb 2002 22:42:54 -0500
On Thu, 7 Mar 2002 14:30:37 -0800 Theta Sigma <[log in to unmask]>
writes:
> At 04:00 PM 3/7/2002 -0500, you wrote:
> >Any paleo ideas for treating poison oak? I'm very allergic to it.

Mark(?) wrote:
 Mango trees are in the same family and the skin of the fruit is
toxic either by touch or  ingestion - wear gloves when removing
the skin - the inside pulp is toxin-free.

Ardeith writes:
Poison oak is Rhus toxicodendron.....
Jewel weed is an impatiens.....
Mango is Mangifera indica.....

What are you saying is in the same family as what?

As for mango being toxic.....I never heard that one.
My mom was allergic to mango, but she loved them
and would eat them, and then get hives......I love
mango too.  Since they grow in S. Florida, I looked
in my state guide to poisonous plants, and didn't find
anything about mango except that some people are
allergic to them..........the kids in honduras peel the
things with their teeth......then throw the skins to the
chickens or pigs.........
So, where did you hear mango skins were toxic?

And, by-the-way, the plantain leaves someone recommended
for poison oak rashes are not the leaves of the banana-like
plantains found in fruit markets.....they are the leaves of a
rather small plant that is considered a week in most folks'
yards............the herb plantain is a old-time herbal balm.
Whether they work for poison oak, I don't know as I
make sure I don't go near the stuff.........

Walk The Path With Practical Feet!

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.