Date:
Tue, 5 Feb 2002 11:44:12 +1100
kelly baggett wrote:

> Low carb diets can have either a positive or a negative effect on insulin
> sensitivity.  In general a very low carb ketogenic type diet dramatically
> hinders insulin sensitivity and leads to rebound hyperinsulinemia when
> one
> goes back to eating carbs.

My endocrinologist postulates that low carb eating will in effect
increase insulin resistance through lack of stimulation of insulin
receptors on the cell. The use it or loose it principal.
I thought he was just spouting the usual anti low carb rhetoric but
perhaps he has a point given anecdotal evidence of long term lower carb
eaters.
There doesn't appear to be much research out there on this issue?
Leonie