From:
Ray Audette <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 Sep 2010 21:29:00 -0700
> Yes, my doctor wants me on the ADA diet, which is
> completely absurd.

A recent study by the Wall Street Journal showed no difference in either
mortality rates or bankruptcy rates for people with or without health insurance.

Doctors take far more credit for the increases in lifespan since about 1850 than
they statistically deserve.  Perhaps the effects of first the railroad, and then
refrigeration, in converting our agrarian diet into something far more
Paleolithic had a greater effect.  As these advances reduced the cost of animal
fat, lifespan increased in mathematical lockstep.  Texas cattle and Midwestern
pigs made affordable by railroads were joined by the proverbial "chicken in
every pot" made possible by refrigeration.  Soon trucks made a wide variety
fresh fruits and vegetables available to everyone.  In recent years, fresh fruit
from both northern and southern hemispheres are made available, year round, by
airplanes as well as fast ocean freighters.

It always seemed absurd to me that people would seek to eliminate these
advantages of these advances by emulating the neolithic dietary patterns found
in the Third World Countries.  That these countries also have a long history in
dealing with the problems produced by these dietary practices is also held in
high esteem even though these medical traditions have as abysmal a record as our
medical science in producing tangible results in increasing lifespan.

But profitability produces marketing funds.  "Popular" science  ( like the
magazine) is pure marketing.  The most profitable food consumers are vegans.  At
McDonald's, the grass fed imported beef is sold as a loss leader to sell
government subsidized potatoes fries and corn fructose drinks.  An 80 lb bushel
of wheat ( $4.95 ) produces 90 loaves of bread.  Is anything more profitable
than that?

As politics are always driven by money, a paleolithic diet will always be
politically incorrect!

[ end of rant]
Ray Audette
Author NeanderThin