From:
Jamie Dolan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Mar 2008 13:38:25 -0500
> - feeling guilty about eating so much meat given not really happy with the farming of large animals or the killing of them even when they have supposedly been farmed ethically (the difference with seafood is it lives an unfarmed life and so it doesn't feel as bad to me)

> - finding it hard to find the time to shop and cook Paleo in a busy life

Hello;

This takes a little bit of time in the begining, however I feel it is
well worth it.  I spent the time, (quite a bit of time) to find
several grass fed organic farmers that I am very comfortable with.  I
also have a couple butchers that I am comfortable with, I have even
seen the kill floor at one of the butchers.  I know how the animals
are treated, and I know they are all treated well and fed properly.
They don't eat soy or other inapproiate foods.  The cows eat grass,
the lambs eat grass, the chickens eat bugs, worms, and a smidge of
non-gmo grains.  The pigs eat less than 10% of there diet from non-gmo
food, the rest of there food is off the land.

I have large freezers.  Over 50cuft of freezer space for the 2 of us
and the dogs.  90% of my freezer space is meat, with the rest being
primarly frozen vegetables with a bit of fruit and a couple non-paleo
items.

I keep my freezers cranked down all the way, so they run about
-15degrees far.  Most of my meat is wraped in plain butcher paper,
some in cryovaced.

Yesterday, we had easter dinner early, I got out 2 packs of lamb
chops, from a grass fed lamb that was butchered in the fall, about 6
months ago.  They tasted perfect, we could not tell the difference
between having them being frozen and lamb we have had that is fresh.

My point here is that to fit a diet that is heavy in high quality
organic naturally raised meat into a modern life style, you often have
to make a couple sacrafices.  1. I freeze my meat, which I don't feel
is a big deal, espically at the cold tempatures I use. 2. I buy my
meat in bulk, so this is more of a financial sacrafice than anything
else, I have over 1,000 pounds of meat on hand right now, which will
be eaten in 6 months.

I don't feel bad in the least about the farm animals I purchase, they
are raised as well as any farm animal possiably could be and they are
killed and processed in a clean and humane manner.  Grass fed meats
also taste so much better, after my brother ate some of the grass fed
lamb chops yesterday (and he had conventional lamb at a high end
restraunt just the week before to company to) he told me how excellent
they were and he pronounced that he would butcher a lamb himself to
get more of thoses grass fed lamb chops (he is in a corporate job in a
big city, so that was a bit of a statement comming from him).

I think I have addressed both the concernes about shopping and ethical
treatment of the animals above.  The last question you had that I want
to make a comment on is cooking...

Depending on how much cooking you do, I know it can be a huge
challange.  I have recently had the time to cook / slow food
discussion with a farmer.  We were discussing the reasons why more
people don't eat real slow foods.  One of the biggest problems we both
saw was time for cooking in working families.  Neither of us came up
with any good solution.  The best answer I had was for people to use a
slow cooker for there food preperation.  Otherwise if you thaw your
food in advance (I normally thaw all day or overnight on the counter)
then do a quick light grilling, doesn't take much time.  I even use my
grill in the winter here in wisconsin when it is around 0.  I don't
keep most stuff on the grill for very long, so it isn't a big deal.

Jamie

p.s. I rarely feel very comfortable with seafood, I never really know
where the seafood comes from, or what toxins it was exposed to or how
it was handled.  I am much more comfortable with my beef, lamb, etc,
from a local farm where I know how everything is handeled.