From:
Ron Hoggan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Jan 2009 10:14:01 -0800
Hi Steve,
Stefansson depicted the traditional indoor life of the Inuit as almost
tropical. Further, their very innovative clothing kept them quite warm most
of the time when outside.

You are correct in recognizing that fat consumption is far more important
for staying warm in cold weather. (Carbs just don't seem to do the trick in
extremely cold conditions.) However, this same diet seems to cure drug
resistant epilepsy and many treatment resistant cancers. It also works
wonders for obesity, autoimmune disease, etc. Many body builders are also
moving toward the ketogenic diet. So the Inuit diet may be closer to our
evolutionary past than is currently believed.  Thus, it may be more
productive to look at what diets make us healthier rather than rely on what
we imagine to be the norm for human pre-agricultural diets as the litmus
test for dietary choices. When we see such obvious health benefits from a
fat dominated, moderate protein diet, in conditions where drugs are
ineffectual, there is good cause to think otherwise.

Estimates for how long humans have been in the Americas have changed several
times in recent decades and the explanations for Polynesian genes in the
Americas hasn't (IMO) been satisfactorily explained. Thus, it really isn't
relevant how long people have been on this continent. What counts is whether
their diet is congruent with our genetic past, and hence, confers protection
from, and treatment for, many of the diseases of civilization.

Best Wishes,
Ron

Sent: Monday, January 05, 2009 8:39 AM Steve ([log in to unmask]