From:
Ingrid Bauer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Mar 2001 19:36:59 -0800
To illustrate what i was saying in the other post about hrt, here is a post
extracted from an other list .
when you start that way you are in trouble for life.
take adavantage to ask your doctor also what will be the next protocol of
hormone replacement ( after hrt ) , few years down the row.
jean-claude

Hormones are my subject, my woe.
I have taken estrogen (premarin and now in estratest preparation) and
medroxyprogesterone (provera) since 1984, when after three deliveries of
healthy babies, my cycle did not return.  At the age of 27 I was faced
with premature menopause.  I was tested for thyroid at the time.  Not
for addisons.  What befell me next?  Addisons.
Back to the hormones.  In yesterday's paper, and in a recent MedPulse
article, headlines stated that estrogen taken longer than 10 years
caused increased risk of ovarian cancer.  The article then mentioned
that when this study began, it was not standard practice to prescribe
provera along with the premarin.  THEN it referred to past studies,
wherein progesterone was found to cause breast cancer (a new one to me).

What are we to do?
I take these hormones, supposedly in a healthy balance, to help prevent
osteoporosis.  I will still have some, but it 'should' help.
My gynecologist, now retired, had told me to stay on them indefinitely.
The new guy stated in my first visit, that once my periods stopped, I
wouldn't need the hormones anymore!  Huh?  My periods will most likely
continue, I thought, as long as I am taking the hormones!!  also, I
think the Cortef I take affects things.

A penny for your thoughts
please!