From:
"Beckwith, Gary" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Dec 1998 11:18:42 -0500
>Caryl wrote:
>I just got *Protein Power* in the mail yesterday
>Do you consider their plan paleo?

No, it's not.  First, paleo is not low carb.  On paleo, you can eat all the
veggies, fruit, and nuts you want.   You don't count carbs.
Second, Eades allows dairy products and some grains and legumes (as long as
the carb intake is kept low), which are not considered paleo (they only
became available with the advent of agriculture).

>I feel confused because Audette, Crooks, the Eades, Sears,
>Atkins, et al. all present plausible-sounding plans and I don't know how to
>reconcile the differences!

I don't know anything about food rotation or candida diets, but the goals of
the paleo and low carb diets are different.  They both point back to the
paleo era as being a better diet to follow, but the paleo diet is not
primarily a weight loss diet (although many lose weight as a secondary
benefit), while the low carb diet is a weight loss diet, with better health
the secondary benefit.  The paleo stance is that the types of foods we
didn't eat back then (no grains, dairy, beans, peas, etc.) made the health
difference, while the low carb position is that the paleo diet was simply
lower in carb intake, and so didn't cause insulin resistance, which causes
weight and health problems. So certain foods are allowed on a paleo diet
that are not allowed on a low carb diet, and vice versa.  Ray Audette,
please correct me if I've misrepresented your diet in any way.

You might want to start with the paleo diet as a base, and then adding some
foods slowly to see what you can tolerate.  I find I can tolerate most
non-paleo foods except wheat or dairy.
I'm sure you can find info on the net on candida, and food rotation diets.
Don Wiss has a good candida site.

Good luck
Gary