Date:
Fri, 11 Jan 2002 05:20:07 -0600
Rachel wrote:
Thai Kitchen is the best brand of coconut milk I've found; it's free of
sugars, preservatives, sulfites and other additives.

Hi Rachel,

Upon your good advice I went to buy the Thai Kitchen Brand Coconut Milk.
Apparently, they have -just changed- the ingredients & name on the label.
They replaced the word Pure with Premium and now use Guar Gum too. Does
anyone know if Guar Gum interferes with fat absorption?

What's also interesting, and I don't know why this is, but the Fatty Acid
profile has changed significantly too. The premium has 12g total fat, but 5g
are NOT Sat.Fat. This IS weird because the USDA database shows Coconut Milk
Canned should be almost pure Sat.Fat - it's about 18 SF to 1.x (mono/pufa).
So what the heck is 5g of NON-Sat.Fat doing in this Coconut Milk? The ratio
seems way off the mark, so I'm wondering what this is about?

Serving size 2 oz. Thai Kitchen Brand Formula Change

old formula     Pure            Premium (new formula)

calories        90              124

total fat       9g              12g

carbs           1g              3g

protein 1g              1g

sat fat 7g              7g

Best, deVries

P.S. I've read on another list (coconut) that Bangkok Market brand from L.A.
is also excellent w/o preservatives or Guar Gum.