From:
Paleo Phil <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 May 2009 18:21:52 -0400
Keith Thomas wrote: "I have started an 'outline timeline' of the palaeo
'movement' on my own website ... http://www.evfit.com/tracking.htm"

Great resource Keith, thanks! I had been planning on doing that myself some
day, so you saved me some time. I don't know what to supply you with without
knowing your requirements for addition to the list, but Vilhjalmur
Stefansson is the biggest ommission. Here is some info on his contribution:

1921 - The Friendly Arctic, by Vilhjalmur Stefansson published. Stefansson
touched on the Inuit diet in My Life with the Eskimo (1913), but he
addressed it more thoroughly in The Friendly Arctic and this book inspired
Dr. Blake Donaldson to prescribe a variation on the Inuit diet for his
patients, starting in 1929. 13 February 1930 - Stefansson's all-meat/organ
diet experiment results were published in "Prolonged Meat Diets With a Study
Of Kidney Function And Ketosis," By Walter S. McClellan and Eugene F. Du
Bois, in The Journal of Biological Chemistry. November 1935 - "Adventures in
Diet" article published in Harper's Monthly Magazine in which Stefansson
promoted the meat/organ diet of the Inuit "survivors of the stone age" who
he said "were the healthiest people I have ever lived among," though he
added the caveat that they had shorter lifespans than moderners. I believe
Stefansson was the first to use the term "Stone Age diet" to describe the
diet he was advocating. He also published books on diet including Not By
Bread Alone (1946), The Fat of the Land (1956), and Cancer: Disease of
Civilization? (1960). Not By Bread Alone helped inspire Owlsley "Bear"
Stanley to adopt a meat, eggs, butter and cheese diet. Stefansson died of a
stroke at age 82, having had two earlier strokes, but he attributed his
strokes to many years of poor diet, including some years he did not stick to
his Inuit-type diet after adopting it.

I would also include Eaton's groundbreaking article:

1985 - Eaton, S. Boyd, and Konner, Melvin (1985) "Paleolithic nutrition: a
consideration of its nature and current implications." The New England
Journal of Medicine, vol. 312, no. 5 (Jan. 31, 1985), pp. 283-289.