From:
Elainie Gagne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Jun 2004 18:38:22 EDT
In a message dated 6/6/04 5:02:22 AM, [log in to unmask] writes:

> I have a copy of Nourishing Traditions. According to the book, soaking of
> raw nuts in brine neutralizes enzyme inhibitors; but I don't think the
> method is particularly effective in order to get rid of phytic acid.
> Experiments with raw whole-seed cereals, pseudocereals, legumes and
> oilseeds, appear to indicate that.

Right, it helps but doesn't eliminate it entirely from what I understand. I
think long fermentation as in sourdough bread virtually eliminates phytic acid
but that would be difficult to do with nuts -I've tried some raw nut cheeses
made this way but there were questions as to whether harmful pathogens were
introduced abd created by this methos among raw food circles.

Elainie