From:
Geoffrey Purcell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 Jul 2008 14:23:09 +0100
 Cordain has made some good points such as that wild-game muscle-meats tend to be much leaner than grain-fed, intensively-farmed meats. However,  this is more  to do with the fact that grassfed-/wild-meats just need longer to build up enough fats, and too many farmers slaughter animals at too young an age.

The fact is, though, that, like many people, rawists or cooked-foodists alike, I've found that I need to eat much less in the way of food if I ate plenty of animal-fat. When I ate too little fat, a la Cordain, I would end up eating vast amounts of lean muscle-meats, and never really feel fulfilled re hunger - indeed, too little fat would lead to symptoms akin to "rabbit starvation".

*I should add that I make a strenuous effort to eat a LOT of widcaught meats/organ-meats as I'm very dubious re a lot of the so-called grassfed-meat sources out there.*

My biggest problem with Cordain, however, was his previous recommendation re vegetable-oils such as canola-oil/flax-oil etc. Given that none of these oils were, exactly, Palaeo foods, I am doubly wary of Cordain.

Geoff

"Every truth passes through three stages before it is recognised. In the first it is ridiculed, in the second it is opposed, and in the third it is regarded as self-evident." Arthur Schopenhauer. http://www.rawpaleo.com/ http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/rawpaleodiet/> Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 07:58:49 -0400> From: [log in to unmask]> Subject: Cordain Bashing why??? RE: Newbie Question - Organ Meats> To: [log in to unmask]> > Hello, > > I've been following Cordain's recommendations for about a year now.> More so with his Athlete's book as I'm a competitive cyclist, and I've> had great success with it.> > I have been following this email group for several months now... "long> time follower first time sender". > > I'm curious as to why so many people bash Cordain. I understand where> one may disagree and I think it's great that everyone can simply agree> to disagree.> > But to say..."That Cordain should be locked up".... I'm curious Ashley,> (and it's non of my business) what is your expertise in this area and> nutrition in general? > > I do not want to pick on the author, but Neanderthin was published when?> 1996 or something like that. (I have not read it as it's pretty> difficult to find) Whatever one may say about Cordain and his ideas...> he does seem to back it up with pretty good and current research. yes> I'm sure there's plenty of research to say otherwise... Remember in Good> Calories Bad Calories how Taube talks about all the studies that caused> us to go down the wrong path, or at least a not as efficient path? It's> good to realize that two different people can read the same studies and> come to two different conclusions is often the case.> > I'm just curious if more people bash Cordian and Lean meats due to the> fact they like their steaks marbled? And their salads wilted with bacon> grease. It's common sense that the animals of the day didn't just graze> around like cows and pigs do today. If anyone has ever eaten wild boar> it's nowhere near as fat as the bacon you see at Krogers, or if you've> ever ate a wild turkey... same thing. I feel Cordain wants the fat> trimmed because of the society we live in today is different than back> then... animals had to run for their lives, etc... the food they ate> then is different than now, and that it's the nutritional content of> animals today versus the nutritional content of animals back then.> > That's my thought.. Cordain's advice has done wonders for me, and he is> constantly out there promoting this diet, doing research, sending out> free newsletters, etc...> > I really wish some of these people that bash him would state their> reasons for bashing him, his book is more current, his studies are more> current, etc.. Plus I would not bash Neanderthin as that author surely> knows more about what he's talking about than I ever could... it's not> my expertise. > > But that's my $0.02, Ashley, hope you are not offended, as I was not> intentionally calling you out, it's just your phrase very well sums up> what appears to be several peoples opinions about Cordain.. I> personally think they are misguided, but in life there are more ways> than one to remove the epidermis layer of a feline. Cordain versus> (insert favorite author here) is much the same way I feel.> > Cordain has worked for me, so I'll side with him. > > (sorry in a rush, didn't check my spelling) > > Ron Stanevich, PE> District One, Design Engineer
Play and win great prizes with Live Search and Kung Fu Panda
http://clk.atdmt.com/UKM/go/101719966/direct/01/