Date:
Sun, 20 Dec 1998 11:28:19 -0500
Donna H wrote:

> I'm curious what paleofooders think of the blood type theory forwarded
> by Dr. D'Adamo in ER4YT (website at www.dadamo.com)? I have heard
> plenty of 'it's b.s.' remarks elsewhere, but also know I'm scoring
> realllyyyy well at guessing people's blood types when they tell me
> what works for them in dieting, a few other specific questions... even
> if their blood type represents say 5 percent of the population.
I think that a lot of people react to his book like that is because
there is really no research backing it up. It's his (and his fathers)
gut feeling. I think he talks about 'research' but I haven't seen
anything of the sort in the book. Too much handwaving, I suppose
(I did read his book). I personally think that blood type may very
well be a marker, but not a certain determinant of how you would
react. I thought, on the basis of the book, I'd be type O or B, went
out and got tested. Turned out to be A. Blood types probably correlate
quite well with peoples ancestry, and their ancestry correlates
quite well with what they are sensitive to. So, there is a correlation
between blood types and sensitivities, but I don't see much of the
evidence linking blood types to sensitivities directly.

Also, I tend to think that somebody whose ancestors have been exposed to, say
dairy, for a few centuries is better suited to it than somebody else,
but it does not mean that dairy is the best food for him. D'Adamo seems
to think the opposite (i.e. type B should eat dairy).

Ilya