From:
Barbara Sheppard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Aug 1999 21:34:38 +0900
Amadeus,

>Barbara Sheppard wrote:
>>1. The energy/resources needed to process many vegetarian foods.
>>Paleofoods, by definition, require very little preparation and are
>>all edible raw. OK, many people choose to cook at least some of
>>them, but there is no absolute need to do so.

>Time to process a carrot?

I was interpreting 'vegetarianism' in the original post in the sense in
which I think most vegetarians practise it - as a diet that relies heavily
on grains and legumes. I was also interpreting 'carnivory' as meaning a
diet that includes meat - but then I extended that to mean 'paleo', which
may not have been a valid thing to do.

You will notice that I said 'many vegetarian foods', not 'all'. I wasn't
thinking of carrots, but of something like bread, which I think would be
eaten in significant quantities by many vegetarians. The grain, once
harvested, has to be milled into flour, mixed with other ingredients, and
baked. It's not actually the time needeed for processing that I think is
important, but the environmental impact of it.

>Like meat could be eaten raw.
>How much percent do you eat raw?

Probably around 30% or so, as well as fish, which I mostly eat raw.

Barbara