From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Jul 1998 10:18:22 -0400
On Fri, 10 Jul 1998, T. Martin wrote:

> I also wonder how much of a threat modern legumes (those edible raw)
> pose, given that paleo HGs apparently (again, according to Eaton)
> consumed an extraordinary diversity of plant types. I would think that
> we had developed some kind of tolerance for small-to-moderate amounts
> of unfamiliar non-toxic plant foods. I find it more believable that
> grains and legumes are threatening in the absurd quantities that
> agricultural humans tend to consume them.

What may be even more threatening is the fact that they are eaten
in these quantities as *substitutes* for animal proteins.  The
situation with respect to grains may be more difficult, since
wild grains, with certain exceptions are too labor-intensive to
gather and must be sprouted to be edible, for the most part.
Quinoa is interesting in that botanically it is a fruit and not a
grain at all.  I'm not sure how relevant this is, however.

Todd Moody