From:
mark wilson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Dec 2005 09:29:23 -0800
--- Brad Adams <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> 1. Like Robert, I do notconsider myself an endurance
> athlete. My sporting
> interests range from beach volleyball ..

Me too.  I've been on a 6 year quest to figure this
whole thing out.  It's a problem because I want to
stay paleo, plus I don't want to consume too many
carbs in order to keep blood sugar and insulin levels
under control.  The trade off has been, go low carb,
bonk early, and get my butt kicked, or carb up and
deal with all the pre paleo problems of excess carb
consumption.

Fortunately, I've found a combination that works
beautifully for me that doesn't require excess carbs.
I've been using inulin along with fruit, and the
combination is magnificent.  I can play 3 hours of
beach volleyball now, and like in the pre paleo days,
not bonk after an hour or so.  Here's a blurb on
inulin I found on the web,

During anaerobic exercise, the muscles thrive on
inulin. It helps increase energy and endurance and
extends carbohydrate-derived energy over a longer
period of time without a significant increase in blood
sugar. Consuming inulin with maltodextrins and
fructose creates a potent package by increasing the
supply of carbohydrates while holding blood sugar
steady. This gives the body a back-up system for
cellular carbohydrate uptake rather than forcing it to
depend completely on normal glycogen storage"

I haven't had to bother with maltodextrin, and never
would because of it's glycemic value.  The inulin and
fruit combination is working just fine.  NOW sells it
in powder form.  I consume the inulin along with
grapes or oranges while exercising and now I've got
energy like I had in the pre paleo days when I was
eating massive amounts of carbs.  The inulin helps
your body utilize glycogen more efficiently, plus it
enhances the body's ability to draw on circulating
blood glucose while exercising.

If anyone else tries this combo, I'd be interested in
hearing how it worked out for you.

Mark