From:
P & L Ventura <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Feb 2000 10:02:21 -0500
Dori Zook wrote

> I probably shouldn't respond since I'd smack my mama to LOSE some more
> weight, but what they hey.  For me, the thing that gets me fatter is
> carbohydrates.  What about lots of fruit and high-carb vegetables?
>
> Stories like yours prove that vegetarians and vegans are full
> of sh*t.  More power too you!
>
> Justin Shrider wrote:
>
> This is just a guess, but do you think that adding some wholesome carbs
> might help. Also, do you have some source of omega 3 fats. I use flaxseed
> which is on the Neanderthin list.

Maybe I shoulda mentioned that I don't tolerate carbos at
all.  Raw foods and acidic are out too, looks like for
several years yet.  (I've been doing elimination/challenge
plus 4 day rotation diets for 2 1/2 years - I'm VERY
disciplined at it, so I know exactly what gets me.)  Easy on
the parsnips (I love 'em but I bloat if I eat more than 1/2
cup every 4th day), same with carrots, forget the yams -
they run right back out again.  Also when I eat certain
carbs in more than a modest quantity, my resting heart rate
goes from 60 to 80 BPM.  My blood's like water after
following omega 3 recommendations from health gurus for over
a year; I now have IgE reactions to flaxseed and most nuts.
Salmon, herring and sardine are a integral part of my paleo
diet.  And you're right, Dori, vegans ARE full of sh*t!
That's all that my food turned into on that diet, and for
the first year on this one it went right through me too
(until I eliminated allergins and cut way down on raw greens
and acidic fruits and vegetables.)  It's also my
understanding from studying the O diet that O-  is much more
carbo-sensitive and more paleo than O+. (Sorry, I know blood
types are taboo around here but without researching all this
anthropological stuff as a whole, I wouldn't be here.  I
also learned my lesson the hard way not to take any one
school of thought to heart while completely dismissing
others.)

I've talked to a several ex-vegans on-line that were
convinced (brainwashed) by McDougall, Klapper and others
that a vegan diet was all they needed for all these ailments
that slowly cropped up over years.  Most of these ex-vegans
have auto-immune (intestinal, joint, skin, endocrine, etc.)
problems.  (I was only 36 when I started shriveling up to
and anemic 95 lbs., with no immune system, shrunken
endocrine system, chronic fatigue and pain, a body that,
only a year earlier, could hike or mountain-bike rugged
terrain many hours a week but now could only walk 1/2 mile
and be fatigued for 2 days afterwards, not to mention the
failing mind.... get the picture?) All of us are recovering
on a paleo-style diet - some from "fatal" diseases.  Are we
testimonies to the Paleo Way or what?!

Thanks All, for tolerating this self-centered use of screen
space.

Kaplah,
Lois